COFFEE HOURChurch, Communion, and Community
Beloved Members of Holy Cross,
Christ is in our midst! He is and shall always be!
COFFEE HOUR, an extension of our Divine Liturgy! What a joy it is to be able to gather and have fellowship with one another in our beautiful Community Center. Soon we begin our second year of the “family sponsored” Coffee Hours. Truly the Coffee Hours have been wonderful and your attendance after the Liturgy is much appreciated. Thank you to everyone who has helped make this year a great blessing!
There are a few concerns that I would like to bring to your attention:
- Sponsoring the Coffee Hour has been and is always done on a voluntary basis. We kindly ask all families to participate in whatever capacity they are able. This is NOT meant to be a financial burden. Please keep the menu simple (please see suggestions below).
- In the initial excitement of last year, we had 8, 9, even 10 families signing up for one Sunday. Please limit the number to 4 or 5 families. This will allow us to cover more Sundays and there will be fewer gaps in the calendar.
- Please encourage one another. This is an offering we make to help our community grow closer together. Encourage one another to attend coffee hour, invite someone you do not know to join you in coming over to the coffee hour and learn who they are. Our community is blessed with many newer families, we would like to get to know ALL OF YOU!!!! Please make the time and effort to be there.
- We will be asking our groups; Philoptochos, GOYA, and GAPA to sponsor a coffee hour once every three months or as needed.
We have asked each family to sign up for ONE Sunday. Your participation and stewardship is greatly appreciated! We have a calendar for the entire year in the Narthex of the Church, please stop by and sign up.
What to do:
- Based on last year, we anticipate approximately 200 people at the Coffee Hour. This will vary from week to week. Do not worry about left-over food. FOCUS Pittsburgh has agreed to receive whatever food is left over and it will be distributed that week. Nothing will be wasted.
- Please label what you make — if your baking or cooking contains any allergy foods such as nuts, dairy, etcetera. Please label so that everyone will be aware of the ingredients.
- Keep it simple. Keep it healthy. SUGGESTIONS – Vegetables and Fresh Fruit are never out of season and are always Lenten, Bagels, Donuts (not Lenten), humus, dips and spreads, olives, salads of all kinds, bread, crackers, cookies, potatoes in any shape or form, cake, etcetera.
- Please bring juice (2 gallons at least) for the children.
- Plates, napkins, plastic-ware, cups, coffee (will be made) and tea will be provided by the Philoptochos.
What if I need to change the date/Sunday of my service? No worries. Look at the list and contact another family on the date you are available and switch.
What if I have a memorial? If you have a memorial on a particular Sunday, join in with the families already signed up and let them know what you are bringing.
Is there money collected? There will be a basket for donations. If someone wishes to give money toward the coffee hour, it will be given to the Philoptochos who is providing the paper products and coffee for all the coffee hours.
Occasionally organizations will hold luncheons for fundraisers. On these particular Sundays, please support the efforts of these Church groups and attend the luncheon. An example, March 23rd will be the Greek School Program and Luncheon.
If you have other questions or concerns, please contact the Church Office. We thank you in advance for your help! We look forward to seeing all of you, after the Divine Liturgy, with your entire family, at the Coffee Hour.
- Fr. Michael